Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A Catechism Podcast

First of all, Happy New Year and Feast of Mary, Mother of God!

So I had the idea to start reading the Catechism of the Catholic Church every day and finish it in a year. I would like to record these readings and podcast them so others can follow with me on this journey. It seems fairly simple so let's give it a try! I registered a new website here:

http://www.dailycatholiccatechism.com/

You can go there, subscribe to the podcast, etc. I'm hoping that at least a dozen people start joining me in reading our Catholic Catechism this year. Hopefully I'm not setting my sights too high!

I'd like to mention a little more on why I've felt so called to start this. For one - I never read the catechism and it's always been a bit overwhelming to decide to read the whole thing - I mean it is like 700 pages. Thus to break it down to 7 or 8 paragraphs a day seems like a good idea.

The second is that I think a lot of other people are in the same boat. There are also a lot of people who say, what does the church teach about this or that, when the answer is right in this book. The more I read the more I began to fall in love with it and the truth that it teaches.

Thirdly, I've been a huge fan of podcasts for a long time. The first podcast I really got into was Coverville, which is still making episodes. They just play cover songs and have great stories behind the songs. Then I began to listen to podcasts that were about my favorite t.v. show at the time: LOST. It was awesome to hear commentaries, jokes, etc. about that show. What a crazy show. Then I began to rediscover my faith through the most amazing radio show/podcast: Catholic Answers Live. From there I became the Catholic I am today. I also started subscribing to a number of other Catholic and Religious podcasts (Saintcast, Daily Audio Bible, Jimmy Akin Podcast, Catholic Stuff You Should Know, etc.). After listening to all these podcasts over the years I feel I may have what it takes to start my own.

Finally when our pope called 2013 as the Year of Faith, I felt he was giving me the final sign that I needed to go forward with this project. Also since I thought starting it on January 1st would be a good idea - it happened to coincide with the feast of Mary, Mother of God - so I've decided to dedicate the project to her.

I'll still be blogging here on Blogger so that won't change. I'll probably be mentioning the podcast every once in a while as well. Please pray for me that I'll be able to keep up this endeavor for the whole year! Only with God's help will this project be successful.

1 comment: